This Saturday marks the seventh annual Record Store Day, an international celebration of independent record stores. Observed on the third Saturday of every April, Record Store Day is exactly what it sounds like — an opportunity to visit your local record store and remember what it was like when people actually, y’know, bought records.
Iowa City’s Record Collector will be getting in on the celebration, of course, with a full day of events, including gift certificate giveaways and in-store performances by Iowa City hip-hop artists Cory Altenhofen and AWTHNTKTS. There will also be a “mystery giveaway,” and you don’t want to miss that, right?
The big draw, though, is in all those sweet Record Store Day exclusive releases. Every year, countless re-issues, rarities, splits, and new compilations are released to the ravenous music nerds of the world.
The staff of Record Collector, always eager to give suggestions and point customers to the best new releases, have compiled a quick list of exclusive Record Store Day releases that you should definitely try to pick up. A relatively comprehensive list of which RSD-exclusive records The Record Collector will (likely) have on-hand is available here.
Record Collector Staff Picks
- Bonobo – Get Thy Bearings 7″
- Deerhoof/Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog – Split 7″
- Foals – Live at Royal Albert Hall
- Oneohtrix Point Never – Commissions I
- Slipknot – Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
- LCD Soundsytem – The Long Goodbye
- Parquet Courts – Sunbathing Animal 7”
- Pissed Jeans – The Very Best of Sub Pop 2009-2013: Live at the BBC
- Various Artists – COMP (Flat Black Studios compilation)
- Joy Division – An Ideal For Living
- Various Artists – The Rough Guide to Latin Rare Groove
- Cave In – Jupiter + Rarities