Downtown businesses and art galleries will be opening their doors to the public this weekend for the annual Fall Gallery Walk.
This year’s Gallery Walk begins Friday from 5-8 p.m. with 17 venues holding joint opening receptions. These receptions will showcase work by acclaimed artists specializing in mediums ranging from painting to digital design and documentary filmmaking. Participating venues include:
- Active Endeavors – Photography by Scott Duncan
- B Gallery at Barker Financial – Art by Tanner Smith, Gary David and Tyler David
- r.s.v.p. – A celebration of Mailart
- Textiles – Travel drawings by John Martinek
- Iowa Artisans Gallery – Art by Larry Welo
- Chait Galleries – Art by Sara Slee Brown, Bao Pham and Benjamin Chait
- The Paper Nest – Mixed media fiber works by Sayuri Sasaki Hemann
- The Englert Theatre – The Black Angel Invitational Exhibition
- AKAR – Ceramics by Bernadette Curran
- The State Historical Society of Iowa – Paintings by Matthew Wiegand
- Glassando – Exhibition by William Hurlin
- Old Post Office Gallery (Senior Center) – Art by Chuck Ping, Rob Dietrich and Dianne Day
- MidWestOne Bank – Art by Gerhild Krapf, Ruth Muir & Marcia Wegman
- US Bank – photography and printmaking by Patricia Leon and Gonzalo Pinilla
- Yotopia Frozen Yogurt – Art by Deborah Yarchun
- UAY (United Action for Youth) – Emerging young artists
- MC Ginsberg Jewelers – Photographs by Kevin Chamberlain
The Walk is self-guided, and continues through Sunday until 4 p.m. (with some exceptions), so participants are encouraged to begin at any location and move at their own pace through each of the venues.
Maps highlighting the many showings will be available at each of the venues, and will come with a punch-card to be marked by staff at each location. Gallery Walk participants who receive punches from 10 of the 17 venues will be entered in a drawing for a $50 gift card to Iowa Artisans Gallery.
For more information on the Gallery walk, check out the Iowa City Downtown District’s event listing.